Interesting Facts – Book a B&B
Some interesting statistics about https://book-a-bnb.com
- 45% of visitors are using mobile devices
- Users most popular Mobile device – iPhone
- Users most popular browser – Chrome
- Biggest age group (24%) – 25-34 year olds
- 63% of those booking are women
- 7% of visitors are Travel Agents
- 70% have English as their mother tongue – next German 4%
- 15% have used our booking service again this year – 85% are new users
- Since the update to a mobile friendly website earlier this year vistors are up 34% over same period last year
- the use of tablets iPad etc is up 164% since last year
- Average load speed of a typical page on Book a B&B 2.4sec
- Top 10 countries using Book a B&B
- United States
- United Kingdom
Payment for “No Shows”
We have had some members telephoning about taking payment for “no shows”.
- If you have registered for a Stripe account, you can click the “No Show” button and to take the money owed under your terms and conditions. The money owed is nearly always recovered unless the card is fraudulent. If the card has insufficient funds you can try again later.
- If you have NOT registered for Stripe – you can usually register and recover the money owed from a “No Show”. As a safeguard, Stripe stores all guests credit cards for every booking, regardless of whether a B&B has registered or not. If you need help, please call or email support@bnbowners.
- Additionally, you can take payment for guests that leave without paying as long as the card stored is valid.
CREDIT CARD TIPS
Using Stripe, our booking system has spotted and refused bookings from over 40 fraudulent card users this year, but please NOTE!
- Good practice: Take payment using your virtual terminal on ARRIVAL
- Consider taking deposits (or full amount) at the time of booking to deter cancellations and “no shows”.
- The fraudulent use of cards is most prevalent in the winter months for long-term bookings – please check the validity of cards for long-term bookings using your virtual terminal nearer the arrival date. A valid stolen card may be valid for a short period until reported and thieves take advantage of this to make bookings.
- If you are at all suspicious use your virtual terminal to validate a card at any time (no charge) click the box “Validate Only.”
iPhone Terminal Shortcut
Using your iPhone as a credit card terminal
Members have asked how to add the My B&B Virtual Terminal to the home screens of their iPhones. We have now placed an icon on the server to allow this and here are the steps to set it up.
Touch to launch to Safari browser on your iPhone and type in https://terminal.my-bnb.com
Touch the square box with up arrow
Scroll until you see add to Home Screen
Touch to Add
and the shortcut appears on your Home Page.
You can now touch the icon to launch the virtual terminal
You can use the terminal anywhere you have a signal or connection to Wifi
No monthly charges
A great benefit to B&B Owners Association Members
Simple to use and FREE to use
Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org
Airbnb – Falling Foul of EU Law
Many B&B Owners members have expressed concerns about Airbnb and the effect this has on their business.
Airbnb is falling foul of EU consumer laws and has been warned to correct their pricing practices.
They only show the service charge to guests once they have chosen and selected there accommodation – this is typically 17%
This nearly always makes booking with Airbnb more expensive than booking direct.
EU press release: http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_IP-18-4453_en.htm
Book Direct Campaign
The B&B Owners Association exists for the benefit of its members and their guests. Booking either on members websites or on websites operated by the B&B Owners Association means guests are booking directly. Are you aware of the facts and why is this important?
- Booking with online travel agents (OTA’s) incurs a commission of up to 20% for B&Bs
- Commission means less revenue / profit for a family run business
- Commission means less tourism revenue for regional development
- These high rates of commission closed many a B&B during the recent recession
- B&Bs are raising their rates to meet large OTA’s demands for commissions
- Who are these online travel agents?
- Are guests really getting the best room rates? Unlikely, just comapre the room rates for your region.
- Booking direct allows a B&B to keep more of its profits to re-investment in their B&B and maintain the standards for guests.
- Booking directly means your payment stays in your country and helps the regional economy rather than the profits of a multinational OTA.
- As guests tuck into and enjoy your inclusive breakfast, remind them who deserves your hard earned cash.
Booking via B&B Owners websites means NO Commission for our members and just a small booking fee for our Associate Members.
Helping Guests Book Directly
When guests book via your website or https://book-a-bnb.com the pay NO or little commission.
It does no harm to remind them of that fact. Many guests don’t realise how much they are giving to the likes of booking.com and others.
I have designed a simple sign that you can print out and display in your reception area, perhaps next to your business cards.
You can download and print out the sign from here book-directly.pdf
Every little bit helps – good Luck
Michael – B&B Owners Association – email: email@example.com.
Another first for B&B Owners
Guests can now use the Apple Pay, Google Pay or Microsoft Pay to make a booking.
This allows them to make a booking without having to enter their credit card details, speeding up the process on their mobile phones. This provides our members with even more security.
This is the first stage in the development of our one-click booking system.
Reminder Bookings are Automatically Declined
I would like to remind all B&B Owners Association members that bookings are declined automatically if not confirmed by them within 3 days.
After 24 hours we start sending out reminder emails twice a day – that is five in total. Additionally, we have a facility to send a text to owners mobile phones – the dashboard is mobile phone friendly to allow you confirm bookings wherever you are – https://my-bnb.com
In many cases, this is “commission free business” that is lost but more importantly, guests are not happy with our service and go elsewhere.
Bookings are coloured to show their status in your dashboard – and auto-declined booking are found in bookings >> history
- Purple: Guest Cancelled the booking – this may be due to slow response by the B&B
- Red: Bookings have been automatically cancelled after 3 days due to lack of response by the B&B
- Green: Booking Confirmed – your calendar and booking engine are updated to show the rooms booked
- Grey: Bookings declined by the B&B
Booking reference numbers starting with:-
- BNB: Commission-free bookings originating from a full members website (those paying annual membership fee only)
- BAB: Bookings originating from ‘book-a-bnb.com’ – these incur a €5 booking fee for full members and 7% for associate members
- BXB: Bookings from 3rd parties, entered manually on your calendar and added to your arrival/departure sections (payment for these bookings cannot be taken with one click but guests card details can be added to the Stripe credit card terminal at no extra cost)
Need any help email firstname.lastname@example.org
Using the STRIPE terminal on your smartphone
We’ve had a few phone calls and emails asking how to use the STRIPE terminal on your smartphone – so we’ve made it a little easier.
Just logon to https://terminal.my-bnb.com on your phone and you can then carry out ANY credit card transactions on your phone.
Credit Cards and 3rd Party Bookings
we’ve has a few calls and emails about Credit Cards and the use of the Virtual Terminal in your dashboard – here are a few answers to questions asked by other B&B Owners
- YES: You can use the virtual terminal to enter ANY card transaction – you can use it on your smartphone, in the same way, providing you with a terminal you can take anywhere there is a WiFi or phone signal.
- NO: It costs nothing to sign up to STRIPE and there are no monthly charges for the use of the terminal just the normal processing charges.
- YES: You can use it to take payment from guests that have not booked via your website
- YES: Payment can be taken automatically with one or two clicks for any booking reference starting with BAB or BNB – click on the departing tab in the booking section to see the auto charge button next to each guest.
Here are a couple of tutorials to help.