Commission and Online Travel Agents
Many members are very concerned about their profitability with the large commission levels charged by OTAs such as b**king.com.
Additionally, this is forcing up room rates for those that use this service, making them less competitive against those B&Bs that don’t.
Depending on membership full or associate our typical levels of commission are either FREE or 6%
Help us make your B&B more profitable by encouraging you guests to find you on “Book a B&B” our main website that promotes all members. Using the term “Book a B&B” will help too as people search for what’s on their lips. The little graphic below can be copied and printed for you to give to you guests or display in your rooms – every little helps
New website for DINGLE Ireland
Due to our policy of developing websites for specific regions if the membership warrants it, we have just launched https://dingle-bnb.com for our 30 members in the Dingle Peninsula Area.
remember this is to help you get commission free or low cost bookings, so please help us promote this on social medial by mentioning this new website in your Facebook or Twitter accounts.
B&B owners – NOTIFICATION OF BOOKINGS and Other News
NOTIFICATION OF BOOKINGS
We now notify that a booking has arrived in 3 different ways
- BY EMAIL – not the most reliable
- BY SMS TEXT – not available in all countries
- BY PUSH TECHNOLOGY – if you are using Chrome, Firefox or Opera web browsers to surf the web, you will receive a notification that a booking has arrived (Sadly not available on Apple Safari browser at this time) – when you logon to My B&B you will be asked if you wish to receive Push Notifications – approve if you wish to use this facility
Always the best way is to “Bookmark” https://my-bnb.com in you browser and check bookings daily.
Always process bookings in My B&B FIRST as these will most likely carry the lowest commission and for full members they are commission free.
OLD MY B&B ADMIN PANEL
The old admin panel will not be supported for much longer but you may continue to use it if you prefer.
When you login to MY B&B https://my-bnb.com you will automagically be taken to to the new dashboard but you can click on “Use Classic Dashboard” at the top right of the page
ROOMS & RATES
The new Rooms & Rates calendar has been carefully designed to be backwards compatible with the old system. As long as the rooms are setup correctly and any single occupancy allocated to a double or twin room – the system will work much the same as it did before except when you confirm a booking it will show that room(s) as “Sold” – If you’re short of time, there is no need to add 3rd party bookings, these rooms will stay “Unsold” until you get a booking request and will show as “Sold” if you DECLINE the booking. You can add any booking manually to any room simply by clicking on the “Bed Night” (Room/date).
If you need help or find any part of the new system a little unclear please email us on firstname.lastname@example.org – If you need telephone support we can now show you how to carry out a function on our website whilst we talk to you.
My B&B Dashboard – Statistics
We’ve added the following statistics to your dashboard (https://m.my-bnb.com):-
- Graph: Number of bookings received per MONTH v previous YEAR
- Pie Chart: Number of bookings confirmed, declined, ignored or cancelled over previous 12 months
- List: % Nationality or Country of guests
- Coloured Box: Summary of bookings
- Graph: Value of Booking received by MONTH v previous YEAR
- Pie Chart: Value of bookings confirmed, declined, ignored or cancelled over previous 12 months
- List: Top Guest’s Countries by Booking Value
- Coloured Box: Summary of the value of bookings today
- Graphs: Showing monthly and annual visitors to your webpage/website in the past 4 years.
- List: Top websites directing visitors to your webpage/website
- Pie Charts: Number of Guests per booking and number of nights per booking
- List: Time between Booking & Arrival
- Graph: Month booking received v month of arrival
We hope this information will help with your online marketing – it will help determine the “sweet spot” when you can increase your room rates to match demand.
AS well as good performance these stats will highlight bad performance – there are a few things we can do to help and we can advise on how you can help yourself but on a local level, demand is generated by awareness and/or need.
The network of websites operated by the B&B Owners Association belongs to you the members – help us help you by linking to or mentioning our websites to your guests. https://book-a-bnb.com/#view-websites
STRIPE Payments terminal on your smartphone
Using your smartphone Internet browser (Safari or Chrome) log on to https://m.my-bnb.com and tap on STRIPE in the menu.
This displays your STRIPE Virtual Terminal
- You can then use you smartphone as a credit card terminal – use it anywhere you have a WiFi or phone signal
- There are NO monthly charges and can replace your costly electronic terminal
- The terminal automatically checks for fraudulent, lost or stolen cards, providing you with a high level of security
- Take payment for anything not just bookings – i.e. packed lunch, bike hire or extras
- Type in a B&B Owners Association Booking Reference Number and the terminal will take payment with one click
- Makes life even easier for collecting payment for No Shows” or from those walking out without paying
- From the bookings section you can take payment without typing in credit card details – same as on a laptop or PC
- Use it to validate a guests card prior to arrival or for bookings placed months before arrival
This all part of our aim to cut the cost of bookings and processing payments from guests
In the new Dashboard (https://m.my-bnb.com) the way we handle cancelations is much improved. Both guests and B&B owners may cancel a booking and for the most part, the work involved is minimal. The instances of how a booking can be canceled are:-
- A GUEST may cancel a booking by logging on to https://your-booking.com – this updates the B&B Owners booking system and puts a line through it in your dashboard – you can click on this and apply any cancellation charges that may apply using STRIPE.
- A GUEST may also cancel by telephone or email – in this case our booking system will not know – click on the booking in your dashboard and then click the button “Guest Cancellation” – this updates the booking system, updates your calendar and shows the room as available on your webpage/site.
- You, the B&B OWNER, may wish to cancel a booking due to personal circumstances – If so, click on “Emergency” in the Dashboard menu and then “Cancel Booking” select the booking you wish to cancel and click the orange “Cancel Booking” button – this updates the booking system and sends an email to your guest.
Hope this helps
If you wish to comment on this item, you are most welcome but if you have any requests or problems that require action, please email them to email@example.com and they will be dealt with promptly.
Michael – B&B Owners Association
B&B Owners Association – Network Status
Tues 11th July: Problems reported overnight have now been fixed – Please use the new dashboard https://m.my-bnb.com
B&B Owners Association – Room & Rates Display
We recently upgraded to a new “My B&B” dashboard https://m.my-bnb.com and at the same time introduced a new room & rates display.
Many have complained about this or have not seen the reason for the update.
Our intention was not to create more work for you but the ease the administration process.
The upgrade was done automatically but left many of you displaying the wrong rooms.
If you’re one of those, we don’t want to create a whole load of work for you, so can you please let us have the following and we set them up for you.
- The numbers or names of your rooms
- The type of each room e.g. double, triple, twin or family room
- The normal rate for each room
- The rate for reduced occupancy e.g. double sold as a single or trip sold as a double.
Please send this info to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will make the changes for you asap.
Michael – B&B Owners Association
B&B Owners – New Websites
As our membership grows we are adding new websites or directories at a town, regional or country level.
This past month we have added https://kenmare-bnb.com for the B&B Owners in Kenmare Ireland and https://bnb-italy.com for our growing membership in Italy.
We hope our members will get behind these websites, mention them in their correspondence and promote or link to them in their email and other marketing.
The Online Travel agents are destroying the B&B sector by demanding outrageous levels of commission – Time to fight back – all our members have a page on https://book-a-bnb.com that is now showing up in many more searches on the search engines.
We’d love to get commission levels down to a more realistic 3 or 4% – help us help you log on to these websites today. If your town or region would like a free website similar to the ones above, just ask we’re here to help.
Michael – B&B Owners Association
The My B&B Dashboard – B&B Owners Association
AS you all know by now we have updated both the “My B&B’ dashboard and the way we display your room rates. These changes require you to read the new documents in https://bnbowners.com/tutorial/
We have had praise and criticism for this move forward and we understand that people don’t like change.
I will try to outline the differences …….
- All rooms and their configuration can be displayed to help guests choose appropriately.
- We have tried to copy over your room configuration from there
- All rooms will be display as vacant until you confirm a booking – you may add bookings from 3rd parties but if you do not you may continue to get bookings for that room night which are then marked as sold if you decline.
- Functionally the booking system works in exactly the same way as before except you will not receive bookings for rooms that have been declined by you or sold via a 3rd party. lessening your workload.
- It is not necessary to add 3rd party bookings because if you get a booking and that room is sold you will decline the booking in the usual way and the calendar will be updated to show that room is not available.
- We have avoided providing a full channel manager as these work in favour of those charging higher commission rates.
- Many members have separate websites and we can provide code to embed our low commission booking engine into those sites. Full members will benefit from commission free bookings and those that already do this should make sure they are using the latest version of the code.
- The new “My B&B” dashboard is https://m.my-bnb.com and it works equally well on smartphones, tablets, iPads, laptop or desktop PCs.
- You will find the new layout more user friendly and managing bookings more easily.
- We have enhanced the integration of the STRIPE payments system – many members now use the virtual terminal on their phones to replace the expensive electronic terminals.
- The booking system is now more advanced from a security point of view – all credit cards are checked for validity and possible fraud before you even get a booking and this month alone we have detected an increasing number of cards being used fraudulently. This has saved our members heartache and money.
Michael – B&B Owners Association